The School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering (formerly the School of Mechanical Engineering) of the Mapua Institute of technology was established in 1940. The first batch of mechanical engineering students graduated in June 1948 under the semestral system comprised of ten semesters spread over five years.
In 1999 the ownership of the Institute was passed on to the Yuchengco Group of Companies and in 2002 the quarter system was adopted. Consequently, the mechanical engineering curriculum was revised to consist of seventeen quarters and to be completed in four academic years and one quarter
The mechanical engineering program is granted Level II Third Re-accredited status by PACUCOA on May 3, 2006 and valid up to May 2011. It is also granted Center of Development (COD) status by the CHED in May 2010 which is a confirmation of consistent excellent qualities in instruction, research, and extension service. Figure 1 shows the timeline and milestones of the School of Mechanical Engineering.
The newly revised program combines the traditional, new and emerging fields of mechanical engineering such as mechanics, thermo-fluid sciences, power systems, mechatronics, robotics, and renewable energy systems. From converting thermal energy into mechanical work through engines and power plants, the students also learn how to design and implement mechatronic and robotic systems. In the final year of their study, the students undertake a research project and undergo an on-the-job training based on their chosen track which could either be in mechatronics engineering, automotive engineering, or refrigeration and air-conditioning engineering.
Since the mechanical engineering program has not been under any previous non-domestic accreditation by ABET, no program changes in relation to past accreditation results may be included in this section at this time